Essex Field Club on Facebook

Video about the Club

Mythimna vitellina
find out more... Delicate Mythimna vitellina 2 Copyright: Graham Ekins

Essex Field Club
Essex Field Club
registered charity
no 1113963
HLF Logo A-Z Page Index

Visit Our Centre

EFC Centre at Wat Tyler Country ParkWe are normally open to the public on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays 11am-4pm, check. We are also open on Wednesdays 10am-4pm.
Spring recording Record your Robin Record Common Frog Rana temporaria
Record Alexanders Smyrnium olusatrum Record Tawny Mining Bee Andrena fulva
Record Dark-edged Bee Fly Bombylius major
Record Spring Flower Bee Anthophora plumipes
Record cuckoo bee Melecta albifrons

Geology Site Account

A-Z Geological Site Index

Beaumont Quay Limekiln, BEAUMONT, Tendring District, TM190240, Historical site only

show OS map    


The only remaining limekiln in Essex. Linked to the chalk quarrying industry. Beaumont Quay is also of interest as it is constructed from stones originally taken from London Bridge.


Site description

The circular brick limekiln at Beaumont Quay is the only complete limekiln surviving in Essex. The quay was built in 1832 but the limekiln was almost certainly added later, probably in 1869-70. It was disused by the early 1920s. Limekilns were usually built in chalk quarries to be close to the raw material used for making lime but in coastal areas more permanent and substantial kilns were built in harbours and wharfs where chalk and coal for the kiln could be brought in by sea.

Essex County Council owns the limekiln, and Beaumont Quay, and according to the Council both have been recommended for scheduling as an ancient monument. The limekiln is a listed building.

Beaumont Quay has another feature of geological interest. The stones forming the edge of the quay are from the old London Bridge, constructed between 1176 and 1209, which was the first London Bridge to be built of stone. The bridge stood for over 600 years, finally being demolished in 1831, with some of the stone coming here to Beaumont Quay. The stone is called Merstham Stone, better known as ‘Firestone’, a fine-grained sandstone of Cretaceous age from the Upper Greensand of Merstham in Surrey. The bridge that replaced it in 1831 was built of Dartmoor granite and it was this bridge that was sold and reconstructed in Arizona in 1967 when it was replaced with the present London Bridge.

Beaumont Quay limekiln – the only surviving limekiln in Essex. Photo © G.Lucy. (P8014845)


Stones at Beaumont Quay reused from London Bridge
Stones at Beaumont Quay reused from London Bridge

upload a new image

Reference: Watson 1911 (p. 195), Williams 1989

Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index