Essex Field Club on Facebook

Video about the Club

Armadillidium nasatum
find out more... Armadillidium nasatum Copyright: Peter Harvey

Essex Field Club
Essex Field Club
registered charity
no 1113963
HLF Logo A-Z Page Index

Visit Our Centre

EFC Centre at Wat Tyler Country ParkWe are normally open to the public at our centre at Wat Tyler Country Park every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday 11am-4pm. We are also open on Wednesdays 10am-4pm.
Autumn recording Record Grey Squirrel Record Fly Agaric
Record Ivy Bee
Record Wild Teasel
Record Sloe, Blackthorn
Record Garden Spider Record Nigma walckenaeri spider

Geology Site Account


Brick Kiln Hill Brickworks Pit, CASTLE HEDINGHAM , Braintree District, TL77263539, Potential Local Geological Site

 
 
hide/show OS map  

Site name: Brick Kiln Hill Brickworks Pit

Grid reference: TL 7726 3539

Brief description of site:

One of the pits of the former Brick Kiln Hill Brickworks still exists as a area of woodland north of the lane leading west from Castle Hedingham. The pit has low vertical cliffs of iron-stained sand which is part of the Kesgrave Formation, laid down by an ancestor of the River Thames when it flowed through this area over 450,000 years ago.

The sections can just be seen from the lane but the pit is private property and permission to access is required from the land owner. The pit is used as a circuit for mountain bike users.

----------------------------------------

Details

Whitaker (1878) described this pit when it was an active brickworks in the nineteenth century. He said that it revealed a section of 7 feet of “coarse, ferruginous sand with nodules and thin beds of ironstone here and there, and some flints and pebbles (crag or drift?)”. Below that was 6 feet of the “Basement Bed of the London Clay” consisting of “brown, sandy loam with layers of clay and a layer of fine white sand”.

Corder-Birch (2010) describes the history of the brickworks and provides extract from the 1876 Ordnance Survey map showing the pit when it was working. It closed in the early 20th century. The other pit on the south side of the lane has since been infilled.

 

if you have an image please upload it


Reference: Corder-Birch 2010 (p. 83-86 & 117-118), Whitaker 1878 (p.30), Ryan 1999 (p. 77-78).

Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index