Essex Field Club on Facebook

Video about the Club

Arenostola phragmitidis
find out more... Fen Wainscot 2 Copyright: Ben Sale

Essex Field Club
Essex Field Club
registered charity
no 1113963
HLF Logo A-Z Page Index

We are normally open to the public at our centre at Wat Tyler Country Park every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday between 11am and 4pm. We are also usually open on Wednesdays between 10am and 4pm.

Spring recording Record your Robin Record Common Frog Rana temporaria
Record Alexanders Smyrnium olusatrum Record Tawny Mining Bee Andrena fulva
Record Dark-edged Bee Fly Bombylius major
Record Spring Flower Bee Anthophora plumipes
Record cuckoo bee Melecta albifrons

Geology Site Account


Brightlingsea Copperas Works (site of), BRIGHTLINGSEA, Tendring District, TM087161, Historical site only

 
 
hide/show OS map  

Summary

Historic site with a connection to the former Essex copperas industry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Site description

The copperas industry was an important industry in eighteenth century Essex. It involved gathering of pyrite nodules (known as ‘copperas stones’) from beaches, where they had been washed out of the London Clay, and then allowing them to oxidise for several months in open vats. This lengthy and hazardous industrial process converted the nodules to ferrous sulphate (green vitriol), which was an essential chemical for making dyes, ink, and several industrial chemicals such as sulphuric acid. It is claimed that it was the world’s first industrial chemical process - over a century before the Industrial Revolution. Wives and children of fishermen were employed to gather the nodules from the beaches and were paid in ‘copperas tokens’ (see entry for the Walton copperas works).

It is claimed that copperas was manufactured in Brightlingsea as early as 1542. In 1674 the famous Essex naturalist John Ray published an account of refining metals and minerals in England and in this book he describes the technical aspects of copperas manufacture at Brightlingsea. Philip Morant, in 1768, refers to a copperas works here and a ‘copperas house’ is marked on the 1777 Chapman and Andre map. The copperas works at Brightlingsea is commemorated by the road name Copperas Road. The Brightlingsea town guide refers to this local industry, including an account of a local legend that an owner of the works lost his life when he fell into a boiling cistern!



A road sign in Brightlingsea commemorating the local copperas industry. Photo © G. Lucy

 

if you have an image please upload it


Reference: Morant 1768, George 1991, Leach 1999, Allen et al. 2004, Page 1907 (p.411-412).

Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index