Geology Site Account
Dovercourt Spa (site of), DOVERCOURT, Tendring District, TM261317, Historical site only
As part of the development of Dovercourt as a seaside resort a spa house was constructed in 1854 to utilise the waters of a spring emanating from the cliffs. The water was described as ‘chalybeate’ (containing a high concentration of iron compounds) and was considered to be of high therapeutic value. The Spa House was described as a neat brick building overlooking the sea and consisted of a pump-room, conservatory, saloon, and library. The library contained not only books but also cases of local fossils.
The Spa was very successful and continued to do business until at least 1910. It was probably demolished just after the First World War and was the last of the Essex spas. Until recently the remains of the foundations and floor tiles could be seen in front of the beach huts. A large plaque commemorating the existence of the spa has been erected on the site by the Harwich Society.
if you have an image please upload it
Reference: Christy & Thresh 1910, Cowell & Cowell 2001, George 2016.
Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index