Geology Site Account
Eastwood Pumping Station, EASTWOOD, Southend District, TQ86288806, Historical site only
Historical site only
In the nineteenth century the Southend Waterworks Company was formed to supply Southend with fresh water from two or three deep wells in or near the town. However, the growth of population was so great that the company had to sink well after well at points between Fobbing and Southend. One of these is the No. 3 well at Eastwood Pumping Station which was constructed between 1888 and 1890. The well is 871 feet (265 metres) deep which is actually deeper than Britain’s tallest building (the Canary Wharf Tower) is high. The first 247 feet (75 metres) beneath the well house floor is an 8 foot (2.5 metre) diameter shaft and below that it is bored.
Old water company records provide information about the geology. Beneath 40 feet of terrace sand and gravel the well passes into London Clay (240 feet thick) below which is sand and clay of the Lower London Tertiaries (146 feet thick) and at the base the well penetrated 439 feet of Upper Chalk with its characteristic flints. Very little water was obtained from the Chalk but water from the Lower London Tertiaries rose up the shaft to within 66 feet of the surface.
if you have an image please upload it
Reference: Thresh 1907 (p. 59), Whitaker & Thresh 1916 (p. 146-147).
Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index