Essex Field Club on Facebook

Video about the Club

Ophrys insectifera
find out more... Ophrys insectifera Copyright: Sue Grayston

Essex Field Club
Essex Field Club
registered charity
no 1113963
HLF Logo A-Z Page Index

Visit Our Centre

EFC Centre at Wat Tyler Country ParkWe are normally open to the public at our centre at Wat Tyler Country Park every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday 11am-4pm. We are also open on Wednesdays 10am-4pm.
Summer recording Record Goats-rue Record Wild Carrot
Record Spear Thistle
Record comb-footed spider
Record Wasp Spider
Record Garden Spider Record Nigma walckenaeri spider

Geology Site Account


Mammoth Cottages, Barking, BARKING, London Borough of Barking, TQ4521383667, Historical site only

 
 
hide/show OS map  

Historical site only

On 5th November 1906 staff at the Passmore Edwards Museum in Stratford were informed that a large bone had been unearthed during the construction of houses on the Kennedy Estate on the outskirts of Barking. The following day museum staff visited the excavation and collected the bone, which was described as two foot (70 centimetre) long and lying 3 feet 9 inches (1.15 metres) below the surface in a sandy gravel. The bone, which was in a very fragile state, was identified as part of the pelvis of a mammoth and was brought back to the museum in fragments where it was reassembled. Since the closure of the Passmore Edwards Museum in 1994 the bone has been in storage with the rest of the Essex Field Club’s collection.

It is difficult to estimate the age of the bone but the gravel here is part of the Taplow/Mucking terrace of the Thames and was laid down about 200,000 years ago (Marine Isotope Stages 8-6).

The finding of the bone is commemorated by a small stone plaque with the words ‘Mammoth Cottages’ situated high on the wall of 20, Sparsholt Road, Barking.



The small, inconspicuous plaque on a group of cottages in Barking where a pelvis of a mammoth was found in 1906

 

see also: Part of the pelvis of a mammoth found in 1906 during excavations for housing at Barking. Photograph from the Essex Naturalist (published by the Essex Field Club in 1907).

if you have an image please upload it


Reference: Cole 1907

Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index