Geology Site Account
St. Chad's Well (site of), CHADWELL HEATH, London Borough of Redbridge, TQ471896, Historical site only
Historical site only
Chadwell Heath was named after St. Chad’s Well which formerly existed in Billett Road. The well or spring is clearly very ancient and the water was originally thought to have medicinal properties. Christy and Thresh in their book A History of the Mineral Waters and Medicinal Springs of Essex (1910) report that the well was at one time 'much resorted to by persons of weak eyesight, for the special properties of the water were supposed to be beneficial to the eyes'. Photographs of the well from the early 20th century show the well protected by an alcove of brickwork which may have been built as long ago as the eighteenth century. The water no doubt came from Thames terrace gravel at its junction with the London Clay.
Unfortunately all trace of the well was swept away during twentieth century road widening but a brick pillar, with a bronze plaque, marks the spot which is on the south side of the road, next to the pavement, a dozen or so yards along from 62, Billet Road. The plaque was placed here in 1951 by the Borough Council to commemorate the Festival of Britain. Apparently a replica of the well has been built by local scouts in the grounds of St. Chad’s Parish Church in St. Chad’s Road.
if you have an image please upload it
Reference: Christy & Thresh 1910 (p.51-53), Cowell & Cowell 2001 (p.66-67).
Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index