Essex Field Club on Facebook

Video about the Club

Floronia bucculenta
find out more... Floronia bucculenta Copyright: Peter Harvey

Essex Field Club
Essex Field Club
registered charity
no 1113963
HLF Logo A-Z Page Index

Visit Our Centre

EFC Centre at Wat Tyler Country ParkWe are normally open to the public at our centre at Wat Tyler Country Park every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday 11am-4pm. We are also open on Wednesdays 10am-4pm.
Autumn recording Record Grey Squirrel Record Fly Agaric
Record Ivy Bee
Record Wild Teasel
Record Sloe, Blackthorn
Record Garden Spider Record Nigma walckenaeri spider

Geology Site Account


St. Marys Church, Great Bentley, GREAT BENTLEY, Tendring District, TM10902162, General geological site

 
 
hide/show OS map  

Summary

Building of interest for the stonework, which is of local origin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Site description

The parish church of Great Bentley stands on the west side of the largest village green in Essex. The church is unusual as it is largely constructed of ferricrete, an iron-cemented gravel that was quarried locally. This stone, which makes a remarkably durable building material, was formed within local Ice Age gravels as an ‘iron pan’, which can be up to a metre in thickness, at the level of the groundwater table. The occurrence of ferricrete beneath the ground in this area is noted in the Victorian geological survey memoir for the Colchester district (published in 1880) which states: “Near Little Bentley, Great Bentley, and Wivenhoe Cross, the gravel is cemented by iron into a coherent mass, overlying loose material.”

In the church walls the blocks of ferricrete are laid in an attractive pattern. The nave is thought to date from about 1130 and the tower late fourteenth century. Ferricrete is one of the few building stones native to Essex.

The church walls also contain some fine cobbles of attractive metamorphic and igneous rocks which may have originated locally from the Thames gravels (Wivenhoe Gravel).



St.Mary’s Church, Great Bentley is built mostly from ferricrete, one of the few building stones native to Essex. Photo © G. Lucy.

 

if you have an image please upload it


Reference: Dalton 1880 (p.3), Potter 1987 (p.167-168), Potter 2005.

Geology Site Map
A-Z Geological Site Index